According to last Wednesday session let us remind you some of the recommendations to transform your interest in a quick set of designs:
1. As we are designing something between a dwelling and a hut we recommend to choose, from the average program of a house, the main function each of your designs are dealing with. We could call this the core function: and action that you might become to know very deeply. Space of the dweling could be mainly dedicated to this core function.
Example: A tea house.
REACTION TO CONTEXT.
2. Most of the images and intentions you were showing were extremely beautiful. Nevertheless, most of the contexts in which existing references are contain plenty of threats for this beauty. Most of your examples are challenge by environmental problems, industrialization or economical circumstances. A good suggestion would be prepare your design to resist, change or transform these adverse conditions.
Example: Kerala rice boats facing pollution of water.
3. Our designs will always have interesting elements in the surroundings. We aim students to consider contextual elements as half of their design. Choosing something significant in the place and understanding as a seed for your dwelling that you only need to complete could take you not only to context integration but to innovative typology solutions.
Example: Beijing Fabric, Akmal’s briefs.
FRAME FOR THE SHAPE.
4. Shapes will have to come to your working table soon!. A good recommendation is not to think so much in the form of a container but in the frame supporting and hosting the desirable elements.
Example: Freya’s Sketch on the chimney house organized about a spiral.
GEOMETRICAL or TECHNICAL SYSTEMS
5. When fast decisions on shape has to emerge sometimes ideas like family or spicy helps. Discover a geometrical or technical system that could produce a considerable variety of forms but that is incorporating reduce number of elements can take you to fresh production while keeping quite open options.
Example: Jose Luis origami sphere.
6. Materials can create an strong seduction on ours. Helping transforming this seduction into a design proposal could consist in transforming a material in a piece of material (with dimension and shape) that could be understood as a component.
Example: Lilian’s example on digital fabrication.
ASSOCIATING TWO MATERIAL CHARACTERISTICS.
7. Working for wood to be transparent or for stone to be light could always be a good design source.
Example: Wood mirror, wood lake…
SCRIPTS AND PROCEDURES.
8. Many of your intentions were based in the dwellings performance (steam, heat, ventilation, conversation…). It might be easier to deal with performance thinking in protocols or scripting the making process than describing with pictures. Taking decisions on the process of making could help more than final images.
Example: Megan Smedy avoiding glue proposed techniques.
HYPOTHESIS OF ACHIEVEMENT.
9. Even before knowing shape or material, establishing a set of goals or hypothesis of evolution of what your architecture will be able to produce will always take you to serious design work.
Example: Dong’s house that grows with you.
10. An extremely powerful mechanism to design is to build up images of our own or others imagination.
Example: Megan Townsed book.
Remember: read all the list above, make yourself strong in three or four points.
Hope is useful.
Carlos and Izaskun